A curated collection of intelligent materials for conscious consumers
These sensory + art-making collections are designed to inspire mindful exploration for all ages *adult supervision/ collaboration strongly recommended for young children*.
The materials and consumables are selected with intention, and inspired by over a decade of Reggio-inspired education experiences alongside 20+ years in the arts & education.
SPECTACULAR SENSORY EXPLORATION ✨every item in this collection is selected and/or created with considerations of:
Sight: light, color, opacity, texture, reflection
Touch: smooth, silky, metallic, sandy, squishy
Smell: fresh dried lavender flowers, rose petals, bergamot-infused dough, rich wood
Sound: wood, steel, BPA-free plastic, tin, heavyweight cardboard and sand invite subtle auditory experiences
Taste: culinary-grade lavender &/or rose (I use these for tea…1/2tsp per cup boiling water)
Eco-friendly: all packaging and materials are high quality and perfect for creative reuse together or apart. Box is useful for sand exploration tray if you don’t have one. I’ve used these objects/brands in my personal and professional collections for years and they remain perfect.
Dough is handmade in small batches with flour, salt, cream of tartar, fractionated coconut oil (no smell!), glycerin, essential oils, mineral water, quality food coloring and biodegradable glitter. It’s silky to touch and the salt gives a subtle sparkling effect.
Play sand (some sets include dyed sand)
Mini-books are handmade (painted, printed, folded, bound, etc.) with love. Perfect for capturing notes during exploration, or to take out and about.
Soy wax crayon rocks &/or crystals accompany the mini-books and offer a soothing sensory experience. Can be used to create a variety of marks, from light to strong lines and are perfect for making leaf or found object rubbings. ((Color varies for each set))
Lagniappe: each set includes surprises ✨something sparkly (glass stones, pompoms, acrylic gems)✨something from nature (crystal, rock, stone, petrified wood) ✨QR link to discounts on classes and *coming soon* links to complimentary art, Yoga & meditation videos.
Intelligent materials are those that…
- provoke, stimulate, challenge, engage, seduce, connect, evoke emotion
- immediately transmit a message without words to evoke empathy and expression
- do not impose a direction but that pose questions and elicit hypotheses and the desire to experiment
- invite questions, curiosity, and experimentation; intelligent materials involve a balance of simplicity and complexity.
- are evocative and facilitate discovery, exploration, and the creation of stories, metaphors and games.
- lead to a sense of wonder and excitement so that users are motivated to come back to them.
- modify one’s perspective and support a combination of different languages that are especially seductive.
- charm, trick and amuse